Securely Erase Hard Drive with Active@ Kill Disk Before Selling
Hard drive can be formatted to erase everything on the hard drive but the truth is as long as the sector is not being overwritten by a new file, the deleted file can always be recovered by data recovery software. It is always important to make sure that you’ve completely and securely wipe out the hard drive data before selling it off or giving it to anyone. You may never know who would really be using these recovery tools to obtain your sensitive information such as logins, password, bank data, credit card numbers, social security numbers and etc.
Active@ Kill Disk provides secure hard drive erasing for free. It is a powerful and compact software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It’s a hard drive and partition eraser utility. There are 2 versions of this application which is Free and Professional. The professional version has the exact same features as the free version except it has an extra 17 security standards to erase the hard drive. The free version only erases the hard drive with one-pass zeros which I will say it’s good enough to prevent normal users (non government forensics) from recovering old data that belongs to you.
Active@ KillDisk FREE version features:
* Detects and displays information about all partitions, hard disks and floppy drives currently connected to your computer
* Wipes out all floppies and hard disk drives completely by secure overwriting data on physical level using [One Pass Zeros] data destruction method
* Erases partitions, logical drives and even not used disk space
* Erasing report is created and can be saved as a file
* Supports SSD, IDE, SATA and SCSI drives
* Supports larger than 128GB hard disks via using LBA(LBA48) mode to access drive’s data
* File systems (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc) on the drive do not matter, detected physical drive is erased using low-level disk access
* Double confirmation excludes possibility of accidental erasing of data on a drive
* Very easy to use, utility has intuitive console interface and command line mode for the advanced users
* Works on any system capable of boot from floppy in DOS mode
* Utility is so compact that can be placed on bootable diskette and used from it. You do not even need to boot from the hard drive to destroy it
* Cleans hard drive, floppies, etc.